Saturday, December 17, 2016

Three years ago today...

Today is what many adoptive families call "Gotcha Day" - 3 years ago today, the day I turned 34, we officially became a family of three. Happy Gotcha Day, Isaac! You can go back and read the post from that day- it was the hardest day we had in China. Grief is part of adoption, but that grief also makes the joy shine all the brighter.
Signing paperwork...

Isaac actually had to sign the papers, too, with a red-inked thumbprint.

The visit to the orphanage a few hours drive from where we signed the paperwork.


This was the birthday cake we found in our hotel room when we got back from that really long day.
This was beautiful, but very different from the cake I will enjoy tonight! China doesn't do sweet like we do. :)

Although the road to get there was fairly long and challenging, I had no idea what I was really getting into. And I'm thankful for that. (I expect that's a common sentiment from parents, adoptive or otherwise.)  Becoming Isaac's mom has been the greatest joy and the greatest challenge. Each year has been a lot of learning how to be parents, advocates, counselors. Isaac has been learning how to be a son, a friend, a student. Next year he will learn to be a brother!
Isaac is a very quick learner at physical activities- he rides a bike like a pro!
And he is already trying to do tricks. Mama is nervous.

This year Isaac and Mick did guys camping for the first time.

Six Flags- we all love roller coasters!

Look out world!

He loves swimming! Based on his first swim lesson almost three years ago, I woldn't have guessed.
Being the anniversary of Isaac's adoption, I can't help but think of our next little boy, waiting right now for us to come. And it breaks me to think he was there and waiting already while we were there picking up Isaac. He was almost 2. Where was he? What was he doing that day? Who fed him? I have missed so much, but he has missed even more. This is part of the hearbreak of adoption. 

At this point we are waiting for the U.S. government to approve us to adopt a child from the People's Republic of China. Then we will petition China for their approval. This winter will be a lot of waiting. Waiting and imagining the day I am able to gather this precious boy into my arms and kiss his sweet little face. Those cheeks are begging for kisses!




Here is my favorite video. I love how he tries to do all the song motions but really doesn't know them, but my favorite part is his sweet and sudden smile at the end. 

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be such an exciting and beautiful time for your family! He will bring so much to the family with his warm and contagious smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri! Yes, this will be a big year of memories! We absolutely can't wait to have him with us!

    ReplyDelete