Tuesday, July 3, 2018

One Year In



Sam turned 6 in January and had his very first birthday party at the local firestation. 

What a year! I suppose I have been having too much fun to stop and write an update, and here we are almost one year into being a family of four. Last year on the 4th of July we were anticipating our imminent travel and dreaming of what this holiday in 2018 would be like- having another little boy to delight with our festivities while we revel in his joy and surprise. Truly, I can’t wait for tomorrow! Our neighborhood has a parade and it starts at our house, so we get to spend the morning watching everyone gather and get ready. Then we usually run to my parents’ house (which is on the route) to watch everyone go by and catch the candy each float throws out.

Of course, I have had a front row seat to the wonder of Sam’s first year home and I am blessed beyond measure. Watching him has been a highlight of my life. He is such a sweet and happy kid. Preschool was fun and easy for him and he just cannot wait to ride the bus and attend Kindergarten next year. He is pre-reading now and can recognize many words. He can spell Jeep (and anyone who knows him is not surprised his first spelling word was a car!). Every day we discuss cars- our cars, cars driving on the road, (what they are and how well they are driving), cars in the parking lot, cars we want to buy when we grow up.
Still loves accessorizing.

And “Mama, will you please go with me, I don’t know how to buy a car.”

The only things he loves more than cars are policeman and Jesus. He wants to be a police officer and drive a BMW 3 when he grows up. But at home his car will be a Honda Pilot. Or maybe a Buick like Mama’s.

Just like his big brother he has a wonderful imagination. (At this point he doesn’t get to use it as much when he plays with Isaac because Isaac dictates their story-line and all the details, but Sam loves that! Big brother knows everything and has the best ideas.) Be still my heart. Until they take a break from bliss and fight about a Lego “jewel” someone isn’t sharing. True brothers. 

Sam has jumped in to our family with his whole heart and we couldn’t be any more proud of and delighted in him. He loves books, friends, cars, camp, decaf, bowties, hats- basically he delights in everything his world offers. 

On Friday our little sunshine will have a major surgery. During testing this year they discovered that he has a bone spur through his spinal column and that his spine splits around it. The team needs to go in and untether his cord and remove bone pieces.

These years go by all too fast and I am trying to soak in the details. We still do a bedtime ritual which includes reading stories. I hope they never tire of it. They both love to cuddle and play hard and their parents still know all things. I pray to be the mother they believe that I am, and seeing myself through their eyes helps me to be more than I thought I could. Sanctifying, humbling, blessing. 






Heading out on vacation!

Hours of fun in a play car.






2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing about this first year. I saw you all playing in the water yesterday! The lake was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts! Sweet, sweet family!!! The boys are blessed to have you as a mom! Love you, roomie!!!

    ReplyDelete